As required by N.J.A.C. 5:23-2.17 Demolition or removal of structures, the followings items are required to be obtain a Construction Permit for the Demolition or removal of a structure.

Service Connections

Before a structure can be demolished or removed, the owner or agent shall notify all utilities having service connections within the structure, such as water, electric, gas, sewer and other connections. A permit to demolish or remove a structure shall not be issued until releases are obtained from all utilities that provided service to the property, stating that their respective service connections and appurtenant equipment, such as meters and regulators, have been removed or sealed or plugged in a safe manner. Contact the Stafford Township Water and Sewer Utility Department at 609-597-1000, ext. 8588 for instructions on disconnecting the public water and sewer connections at the curb.

Abandoned Wells

In the event that there is a well on the property a certification must be obtained from a well driller licensed by the Department of Environmental Protection indicating that the well has been sealed or temporarily capped in accordance with N.J.A.C. 7:9-9.

Notice to Adjoining Owners

A copy of a written notice by the applicant must be provided to the township and sent to adjoining property owners for notification of wires or other facilities that may require temporary removal, such as electrical and/or cable wires.

Lot Regulations

Whenever a structure is demolished or removed, the premises must be maintained free of unsafe or hazardous conditions by the proper regulation of the lot. Restoration of property condition to as good as or better than onset of work performed.

Asbestos Abatement

A letter from the owner or agent shall document that requirements of USEPA 40 CFR 61 subpart M have been or shall be met. Also, that all friable asbestos, or asbestos-containing material that will become friable during demolition or removal has been or will be properly abated prior to demolition. The letter must state that water will be applied to the structure during the demolition to minimize air borne particles to protect adjoining properties as per N.J.A.C. 5:23-2.32.

Construction Permit Application

Fill out the Identification section located on the front of the Construction Permit Application (PDF) and Certification in Lieu of Oath section I or II. Fill out the Building Subcode (PDF), section A, B (Estimated Cost Building Work only), C (signature and print name) and section D by a contractor or the homeowner performing their own work.

Be advised that new development must adhere to all zoning and building requirements pursuant to the township code. Two family homes are not permitted.