Ordinary maintenance to structures may be made without filing a permit application with or giving notice to the construction official. If you are not sure if a construction permit is needed, please call the Stafford Township Department of Inspections at 609-597-1000 extension 8532 for assistance. The following is a list of the most common maintenance or ordinary repairs that do not require a permit:
- Exterior and interior painting
- Installation, repair or replacement of any interior finishes due to storm flooding in one-or two family dwelling. This includes plastering and drywall installation.
- Vinyl wall covering of any amount is ordinary maintenance.
- Paneling shall not be considered ordinary maintenance.
- Wall papering at any location.
- The replacement of glass in any window or door. However, the replacement glass shall be of a type and quality that complies with the minimum requirements of the code.
- The installation and replacement of any window or door, including garage doors, in the same opening without altering the dimensions or framing of the original opening. This shall include storm windows and storm doors. The installation and replacement of means of egress and emergency escape windows and doors may be made in the same opening without altering the dimensions or framing of the original opening, and shall not reduce the required height, width or net clear opening of the previous window or door assembly.
- The repair or replacement of any non-structural member such as a partition railing or kitchen cabinet.
- The repair or replacement of any exterior or interior trim, decoration or moldings.
- The replacement or installation of any flooring material, except carpeting, with new material. However, installation of carpeting in one and two family dwellings shall be permitted under ordinary maintenance.
- The repair of existing replacement roofing material in a storm flooded area.
- The repair of existing or replacement of siding in a storm flooded area.
- The repair of replacement of any part of a porch or stoop, which does not structurally support a roof above.
- The replacement or installation of screens.
- The installation of any roll or batt insulation when installed adjacent to or not more than one and a half inches from interior finish.
- Replacement of exterior rainwater gutters and leaders.
Ordinary Plumbing Maintenance
- Replacement of hose bib valves in single family dwellings. Replacement of hose bib valves shall be provided with an approved atmospheric vacuum breaker.
- Refinishing of existing fixtures. Relining of fixtures shall not be considered to be ordinary maintenance.
- Replacement of ball cocks. Replacement ball cocks must be an approved anti-siphon type.
- Repair of leaks involving the replacement of piping between two adjacent joints only.
- Clearance of stoppage.
- Replacement of faucets or working parts of faucets.
- Replacement of valves (including shower or combinations bath/shower valves in single family dwelling).
- Replacements of working parts of valves, including but not limited to, shower combination bath/shower valves.
- Replacement of traps except for traps on culinary sinks in food handling establishments.
- Replacement of a water closet, and/or lavatory, and/or bathtub or shower unit and/or kitchen sink in a single family dwelling with approved similar fixture provided that no change in the piping arrangement is made. Replacement water closets bearing a date stamp of July 1, 1991 or later must use and average of 1.6 gallons or less of water per flushing cycle.
- Replacement of domestic clothes washers and dishwashers.
Ordinary Electric Maintenance
- The replacement of any receptacle, switch, or lighting fixture rated at 20 amps or less and operating at less than 150 volts to ground with a like or similar item, including receptacles in locations where ground-fault circuit interrupter protection is required.
- Repairs to any installed electrically operated equipment such as doorbells, communication systems, and any motor operated device. Provide, however, that if fire protection systems are interrupted for repairs the fire official shall be notified in accordance with the building subcode.
- Installation of communications wiring for communications wiring Class 3 structure, provided that the rearrangement does not involve penetration of a fire-rated assembly and is not in a hazardous location as defined in Chapter 5 of the electrical sub code. For the purpose of applying these provisions, communication wiring shall mean any wiring covered by Chapter 8 of the electrical sub code, such as telephone, radio antenna, or coaxial cable TV wiring. Communications wiring shall also include data circuits between computer/information technology equipment, which may classified as “communications circuits” in accordance with Article 725 of the electrical sub code.
- Replacement of domestic dishwashers.
- Replacement of kitchen range hoods in a single family dwelling.
Ordinary Fire Maintenance
- The replacement of any sprinkler or smoke detector or heat detector head with a like device.
- The repair or replacement of any component of a fire alarm or smoke and heat detection equipment (other than the replacement of a fire alarm control panel).
- The installation of battery-powered smoke detectors.
- The installation of battery-powered or plug-in type carbon monoxide alarms.
Ordinary Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning
- Replacement of motors, pumps and fans of the same capacity.
- Repair and replacement of heating, supply and return piping and radiation elements, which does not require rearrangement of the piping system.
- Repair and replacement of duct work.
- Repair of air conditioning equipment and systems.
- Repair or replacement of control devices for heating and air conditioning.
- Replacement of kitchen range hoods in single family dwellings.
- Replacement of clothes dryers servicing and located within dwelling units provided that no change in fuel type or location or electrical characteristics is required.
- Replacement of stoves and ovens in dwelling units, provided no change in fuel type or location or electrical characteristics is required.