60-32 Registration to keep or maintain small farm animals such as pigs, goats, rabbits, and similar animals.
1. A registration fee of $20.00 is due annually, applications must be submitted and approved by the Stafford Animal Control Department prior to the keeping of any animals.
2. The minimum lot size required is .20 acres, properties must contain a single-family home.
3. All enclosures, pens or other housing related to animals must be located in the backyard and meet setbacks not to be less than 10 feet from all property lines.
4. Pens and other housing must be accessible to the animals at all times and provide shade and give protection from both inclement weather and predators.
5. There must be adequate fencing to prevent escaping of animals.
6. Care and management of premises must be maintained at all times in a sanitary manner not to create odors or excessive noises. Any outdoor yard area shall be kept free of debris, weeds, and standing water.
7. Animal weight can not exceed the following...
300lbs AU for .20 Acres
500lbs AU for .50 Acres
1,000lbs AU for 1 plus Acres
8. All standards within ordinance 60-19 titled Sanitary Requirements must be met at all times.
Residents interested in acquiring small domestic livestock or chickens must first submit an application to the Animal Control Department for review. We encourage all of our residents to contact us so that an Animal Control Officer can go over thoroughly what is required by ordinance, but also provide education on the species one may be considering.
We are available to answer any questions seven days a week. Please do not hesitate to contact us at 609-597-1000 ext 8525.
An application is available below and can be mailed or brought directly to the Animal Control Department located at 260 E. Bay Ave, Manahawkin NJ 08050.