July 21st, 2020
- Licensing Centers offer license and ID transactions only. Vehicle Centers offer registration, title, and license plate transactions only. Check here to find a Licensing Center or Vehicle Center.
- Licenses/IDs, Registrations, Inspections, and Temporary tags have been extended again. See FAQ for more information.
- Lines are very long. Consider waiting a week or more before you come in.
- Wayne Licensing Center is closed until Tuesday, July 28 – please consider going to Oakland, Paterson, or Lodi for your license transaction.
- Many transactions can now be conducted online. Check our online services page to see if you can "Skip the Trip" to the agency.
- All customers are required to wear face coverings when visiting an agency.
- Other FAQs available here.
RENEW STANDARD LICENSE
REAL ID must be renewed IN-PERSON
You will need the following items to start the License Renewal process:
- Your license renewal form you received in the mail
- A valid Drivers License Number
- A valid Social Security Number
- Access to a printer (needed if you want to print an interim license and/or a receipt)
- A valid email address
- A valid credit card
Once you have completed the process your license renewal is effective immediately. The Motor Vehicle Commission will mail your renewed document(s) to the mailing address we have on file. Print and carry the interim license with you along with your current license until your new license arrives in the mail, in about 10-20 business days.
If the mailing address on your license has changed, you MUST update your address BEFORE renewing your license.
Please take the time to visit NJ MVC for all the information on updating, renewals, and changes.